Thursday, September 30, 2010

Inspiration Board


We were asked to create an "inspiration board" or "mood board" based on a theme we are currently working with in our own personal art. Throughout the past couple of years, I have had one overriding theme throughout all of my artworks. I deal with the issue of body image and the concept of beauty. I have done a ton of research on the subject (visual, historical, literary, personal, etc.) and have expanded on the theme to include the history of female body image (aka the concept of beauty in the 1800's versus how we as a society view beauty today), the psychological effects our culture's views on female beauty and how this effects the brain, and so on. This has led into a great deal of research and art-making which has extended to the exploration of eating disorders and related issues that feed into many eating disorders such as trauma and psychological disorders. The series of art which has come from all of this artistic research and experimentation continues to fascinate me and inspire me to learn about new branching topics and create one more work after another. The photograph above is a small bit of what I would consider my "inspiration board", feel free to click on it if you would like to see it larger and explore it more in depth.



1 comment:

  1. This is a great inspiration board. I really like how you included body image issues from different perspectives such as psychology, how the media portrays it, fashion, etc.

    The image where the girls ribs are formed like a corset make my ribs hurt just from looking at it!

    Maybe you can look at how body image and beauty differ in different cultures and countries, if you haven't already done so.

    ReplyDelete