Thursday, September 16, 2010

Work in Progress: Remembering Adolescence




When we were asked to do a visual representation based on the theme of adolescence, and as a response to our reading of "Speak", I knew immediately what I intended to do. Having a strong background in psychology as well as art and education, I find the teenage mind to be one of the most fascinating areas of study (Thus why I enjoied the book so much I'm sure!). I decided to link my love of art, anatomy, and psychology once again into a magnificent project. For this piece, I decided to stretch outside of my comfort zone a bit and work three-dimensionally. I did this primarily because I know that we are constantly asking our students in art classrooms to go outside of their comforts zones for media, so I figured that in an art education class myself, I should try and practice what I preach. There will be more to come later in that the project is still "in progress", however, my basic idea has to do with brain development in adolescence and how this impacts the minds of young adults. To do this, I have taken three skull figures and have found words in the dictionary and thesaurus that are associated with various aspects of adolescence, everything from emotions that are constantly swirling around during those years, to more medical terms having to do with actual brain development during this time, and finally one of them holds words which represent things that teens often face outside of emotional stuff like peer pressure, and academics, and stuff of that nature. I really like where this project is headed, but am open to any feedback you all might have for me before I get to a point where I can't really leave any room for changes :-)

1 comment:

  1. I like your philosophy of exploring other media for yourself in order to develop your "art teacher toolbox." I'm trying to do similar things with fibers, sculpture, and Photoshop. I think that playing around with different media kind of restores my interest in my conceptual ideas, as well.

    ReplyDelete